Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

BFS #101 - Plop, plop, Fizz, fizz; Oh, What a Relief It Is!

Memory Verse:  Psalms 55:22 - Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee; He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.


Intro:  Plop, plop, Fizz, fizz; Oh, What a Relief It Is! (Marketing Credit: Alka Seltzer)
Hello Ladies!  Last weeks assignment was so great, wasn’t it!  This week I thought since we all shared about our educational background and our feeling about homeschooling, the trials and tribulations, and how we got our start I thought we’d share about some of the burdens we’ve felt.


Assignment: This would be a good week to tell about your worst struggles with a lifestyle of homeschooling.  Tell about something you’ve struggled with and how God’s mercies gave us the strength to get past it.  Also, share any curriculum/homeschool methods that have been a relief to you, i.e., a particular Teacher’s Manual or Homeschooling method that’s been easier for your family.  Talk about how you felt when the burden was lifted and Oh, What a Relief it is!


Picture ideas: That never ending, hard to keep clean closet (shelves), the children doing school work you didn’t know if they would ever get a grasp on, your schedule or organizer with plans for the day


Share your favorite scripture and don’t forget the Memory Verse above.





WOW! My greatest burden with homeschooling? I guess I would have to say ...THE SCHEDULE. I thought we had to be detailed down to the minute. If we even slightly got off track I got upset.It drove me insane.I was afraid to step outside the bounds of the timetable I set for us. It was hard for me and especially for the kids. I prayed and prayed . I knew something had to give. Thankfully God showed me it was ...ME! (Can you believe it? ME!) Now I control the schedule... it doesn't control me. I still like to keep to a general plan but I don't mind one bit now to change it up.I mean , isn't that one of the reasons we homeschool?To be able to teach how and when we want or need to.We are definetly eclectic in our homeschool. I think that works best with our ages and learning styles. We enjoy the different ways of learning. Now we enjoy working at our own pace too. If we are done in 4 hours great , if it only takes 2 or if it takes 6 that's ok too.


Of course my favorite verse is Psalm 46:10 but this is the one we are memorizing in our school this week so I would like to share it with you.


Ecclesiastes 1:13 And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven:


I feel this year we truly need to put our whole hearts into searching and learning about God and His Creation.


Here are a couple of pictures of the kids. Things they had learned about and were fascinated with came alive for them during this filed trip to see Sue. ~ Nikki



7 comments:

  1. I used to always be afraid of 'not schooling' during the day, I was afraid for my daughter to be outside for too long and afraid to go into town. All that's changed now, we do what we want, whenever we want and I don't worry anymore. Thank you for sharing your story with us all.


    Mrs. Nancy

    BFS Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! Thanks for sharing.


    Jen

    www.t2chk.org/jensblog

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorta sums up my week and the research I am into right now. Thanks for your post...those dino heads are really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scheduling has always been a weak area for me. I think I'll do a routine instead of a timed schedule. I won't feel so tied down and stressed when we're 'off schedule'.


    ~darlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am learning the very same thing. I am 5 days in and my scedule is working....LOL

    Check back in a month and see if I am still on track...

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the schedule, too! I'm a huge check-off girl, and get very uncomfortable not finishing something that is supposed to be checked off for the day. It's a daily struggle.


    Thanks for visiting my blog! I hope to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the same problem. The schedule always controlled me. I felt if we weren't working every minute of our four and a half hours sometime was wrong. I'm glad I learned to relax too.

    Blessings,

    Pam

    ReplyDelete