Search This Blog

Monday, September 1, 2008

Blogger Friend School Assignment #100 Oh What A Feeling !



Assignment: Take time this week to write about YOU and your feelings of trials and triumphs with homeschooling.  Touch on when you first heard about the concept of home schooling and whether you tip-toed into the idea or just jumped in and never looked back.  Share your schooling as a child and how you compare it to what your goals are for your children.

Photobucket



I enjoyed school as a young child. My elementary school was small and was truly one of those places where everyone knew everyone else. There were no reasons to fear other classmates in those days. Discipline was taught at home and it carried over to the classroom. The worst things to happen at school were of course the dreaded cliques. We had three at our school. The rich kids, the poor kids and the real smart kids.Every once and a while a bully might appear but it never lasted long. Corporal punishment had a way of warming the backside and changing attitudes. The only time we had guns in the classroom was when we were required to take our TWRA Hunter's Safety Course. Sadly all that changed when I entered high school. Times had began to change and so had people. Guns at school and bomb threats were a common occurence. Still , what choice did we have. Home school was something you could do if you were sick but that was it as far as most people knew.

Fast forward to my oldest DD's kindergarten years. She was sick everyday at school.We had to pick her up early nearly every day. She developed asthma and most days would get violently ill because she couldn't breath. Her teacher (whom I had known since I was in first grade) said she was just too shy (yes she was a little shy but that was not the problem, she loved being with her friends) and it was a habit she developed so she could go home. Needless to say I had some choice words for her. Doctor visits were very common. We tried to isolate triggers for her asthma. Finally we pinpointed it. It was the "circle time" rug in her room. I asked that the rug be removed...no. I asked that she be switched to another class...no. Her doctor said, do something quick. At this time she was using an emergency inhaler and taking several breathing treatments a day. I went to her principal (who had been my second and third grade teacher) and told her I was withdrawing her for the rest of the school year and would homeschool her. Remember I knew you could do this for sick kids. She told me what a big mistake I was making. Of course this brought forth more choice words from me about how the system was failing my child.Same scenerio with her teacher when I went to pick her up from class that day. When she stopped going to public school her symptoms disappeared.After a while she was able to stop her breathing treatments and her inhaler use dropped.

I liked homeschooling her. She was a fast learner and we enjoyed the time we had together. By this time I had learned that we could homeschool just because we wanted to, so we did. When my oldest DS was old enough we began to homeschool him. By this time I had become a CHRISTian (PTL) and we were working on starting a school at our church. The following year we started our first year as Christian schoolers.We remained there for several years until I decided to return to homeschooling for the last part of the year due to my Momma's failing health (MS left her very ill for several months) and the time we lost at school due to caring for her.I didn't want the kids to have so many missed days show up on their permanent records. The following year we continued to homeschool because my oldest DD developed skin cancer. Doctor visits, surgeries and biopsies left her and us tired, worried and depressed and I felt being at home would be better for us. It was a great year for us school wise. So we decided just to stay home for a while. If God calls me to return to our church school I will. I help out now a needed.But for now we are content to be at home.We like being able to take our lessons outside and letting them become bigger than the books. We get excited about school supply sales and new books or unit studies. What I enjoy most is that we are close as a family.

At times it has not always been easy homeschooling. I have definetly learned the meaning of my favorite Bible verse , Psalm 46:10 Be still and know that I am God...I know the fear of not feeling prepared or of the anger and irritation of a schedule shot down in flames.I know what it's like to feel inadequate and tired. But I also know that God is our Provider and He will meet all our needs.I tell my children that they can be whatever God wants them to be. I urge them to let Him be the guide for their life choices including their careers.I will give them the best education I can with God's help and He will handle the rest. ~ Nikki

Our Outdoor Classroom





Our Outdoor Classroom.

18 comments:

  1. I like your story! We all probably go through hard times but it looks like God was preparing you to home-school from the very beginning with your daughter's asthma and PTL for that classroom circle rug! Have a great day.


    Mrs Nancy

    BFS Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a great story to read. Your honesty is so refreshing and appreciated.


    Mrs.Kerri

    BFS Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!


    I am glad it all worked out for your daughter. And a shame that the teacher didn't remove the rug!


    Have a great day!

    Melinda-TheModestMomma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved your post. It was so truthful and described the past to a "T". I remember the good old days of safe schools. I'm sorry you had to go thru a hard time with the teachers, but am so glad you were led into homeschooling. I hope I can learn from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing to read your post, praying you have another great year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BJ @ freedomfiles.homeschooljournal.netSeptember 2, 2008 at 3:52 AM

    Wow! You have certainly overcome lots of obstacles. It's amazing how it really ended up being easier for everyone to be home. Most would think "get the kids out of the way" while dealing with extra stresses. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your story! I too remember days of school being much safer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really related to your daughter's experience. My son had a similair experience only it with with strep. After the 6th case, I finally figured out it was from sharing school supplies. All of the supplies I sent at the beginning of the year had been dumped into community baskets. When I asked if I could purchase a new set of supplies for Isaiah to keep in his desk, I was told no. I was also told that he was the only one in the classroom who was sick all the time, so it couldn't be the crayons. Go figure!



    Your BFS Classmate,

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have had more trials in your homeschool than many but your Scripture and summary is so true. You can only do so much and the rest is in God's hands.


    Thank you for sharing your story - have a wonderful school year.


    Pamela

    www.thethreecscheznous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. How neat it is to read others stories... they are all so different. May God bless another home school year for you and your kids. Love the classroom! ;o)


    Many Blessings! ~Another BFS classmate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.


    It is so sad to hear what happened to your daughter at school. I'm glad you had the courage to pull her out. Far too many parents don't.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was so encouraged and inspired by your post-what a journey your family has been on. Loved the picture of your outdoor classroom! Holly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great story indeed, too bad these fellow "teachers/ principal" couldnt see the fact that your childs health was in danger if she was to stay and they still refused to help in any way with keeping her asthma triggers down.... Good for you for being not just a advocate for your childrens education but the safety of their health too.


    Jeannie

    http://www.homesteadblogger.com/RusticWheelAcres/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Terrific read! What an encouragement!


    God's Word promises us He will be there to help us through........

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed your post. I'm longing for the days when we can take out studies outside again....the temps are still raging as are the gnats and mosquitoes down here in South Georgia!!!


    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I guess in a good way-it lead to homeschooling. I enjoyed your post. I look forward to coming back for more.

    Have a super year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great post! Looking forward to getting to know you through BFS.


    Jen

    www.t2chk.org/jensblog

    ReplyDelete