Search This Blog

Monday, October 22, 2007

My Pencil Story

One of my favorite pencils is one that had an eraser at both ends . It said "Life without Jesus is like this pencil . It has no point ." Neither does this blog entry but it is a true story of me and my ongoing battle with pencils .         


1. Pencils come in all shapes and sizes . Your children will all want different kinds therefore you will have to buy 4 packs instead of one .


2. Pencils come nicely decorated for each season of the year . Unfortunately these go on sale months before you actually need them (ex. Christmas pencils go on sale on July 4) , forcing you to buy them and hide them til the correct holiday at which point you either forgot you bought them or lose them . This of course will begin a massive pencil hunt in which you will not find the Christmas ones you are looking for , although you will find the Easter ones you forgot you bought .


3. Pencils have a habit of disappearing from Mom's supply box . Naughty pencils ! Even though Mom checked her box on Sunday night and it was full , by 8 a.m. Monday morning the pencils will have disappeared and Mom will hear a rousing chorus of "I don't have anything to write with !"


4. Mechanical pencils are great ! Until you find out you are out of lead or you have the wrong size . It is a proven fact (by me) that you will buy a # 7 pencil knowing without a doubt that you have 3 new packs of lead at home only to get there and find out it's all # 5 .(Or vice versa .) Or what's worse you will mistakenly pick up a pack of # 9 pencils believing you are reaching for a # 5 or # 7 . When you go back to town to buy lead for these new pencils you will find out noone within a 50 mile radius of where you live actually sells # 9 lead refills .


5. Wooden pencils and pencil sharpeners are highly addictive . They will cause your child to lose all sense of reason (and all desire to do math) until he/she has taken a new pencil to a length of 1.4 " 


Read more pencil stories or post one of your own . More info here .


         

4 comments:

  1. I've heard of that "no point" pencil. I really like mechanical pencils and have memorized what lead size we have and use and only buy the pencils for that lead and vice versa.


    Tia Linschied

    Senior Editor of HSB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pencil story. The same thing happens here, except we have about 300 pencils. My DH's aunt works at a school and I think she collects them. She will send me a shopping bag FULL of them at the end of the school year. I have gave away tons of them.......problem is.....my kids like the mechanical. <===there comes the problem of NO lead.

    I feel for you! Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had that happen to me as well. I finally got some 3 drawer plastic units and put them on one of our bookshelves with all of our school materials. One drawer is devoted to pencils and erasers. My kids usually prefer the mechanical ones, but my son is the only one who seems to be able to keep up with his and keep it from being broken. I don't know why we have an entire drawer full of pencils. I suppose it must be some sort of fear of being without a pencil at a most important time - school! LOL!


    Stop by and see my post if you get a minute.

    Blessings,

    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pencil post! I so enjoyed this challenge, I hope they keep the challenges coming each month. This is the first one I've been aware of, do you know if its a regular thing?

    ReplyDelete